Do you know that person who gets all pumpkin obsessed as soon as fall approaches? Well, I am that person. Pumpkin pie, pumpkin spiced lattes, pumpkin spiced hand soap – basically if it says pumpkin or pumpkin spice, I simply have to have it. Pumpkin bread is not exception! It is perfect for a quick breakfast or an on the go snack – and it goes great with coffee. This Paleo Pumpkin Bread recipe is simple, yummy, and not health-compromising – perfect for a fall treat!
Why Choose Paleo?
You may have noticed that a large majority of the recipes I use and post are paleo. If you are wondering why, the answer is pretty easy… I am paleo! This means that my diet looks like: fruits, vegetables, lean meats, fish, eggs, nuts and seeds. Essentially, this diet is based off of the foods that people in the past could get by hunting and gathering. It does not include: grains, legumes and dairy products. This means that paleo is Gluten-Free and Dairy-Free. Even if you are not paleo, cutting out gluten and dairy are not a bad idea… here’s why: Food Sensitivities.
A food sensitivity happens when a food triggers a negative reaction in the immune system. These reactions involve different parts of the immune system and the negative effects are experienced in many ways. This is why one patient may have their joint pain go away after eliminating an offending food, while another patient’s intestinal issues clear up. What kind of negative immune reaction, and what effect that reaction will have, is greatly influenced by genetics and what kinds of problems a person is dealing with.
Here are some of the things a food sensitivity can cause: joint pain, fatigue, stomach pain, chronic sinus problems, rashes, headaches, seizures, hair loss, nausea, constipation, diarrhea, nagging coughing, weak immune system, heartburn and bloating.
The cheapest, but most frustrating way to find food sensitivities is the elimination diet. The cost is free! However most patients that give this a try end up frustrated. The general idea of the elimination diet is to stop eating the most common foods that can cause problems for three weeks, and then introduce them one at a time to see if they cause any adverse symptoms. This can work well for detecting food ALLERGIES. Due to the delayed nature of sensitivities, and the fact that sometimes people are sensitive to things traditionally thought of a safe, this diet can be confusing. I used to use this, but have abandoned it for better methods.
If you have the symptoms mentioned above and want real results, then I highly recommend getting a Food Sensitivity test. It tests for 141 foods, 29 chemicals compounds and is a simple kit that is mailed to your house (not available in New York). Then all you have to do is take it to one of our recommended blood draw sites. After that, you usually get the results back in a week!
I have taken this test myself and have looked over many of our patient’s results. It is very common to be surprised by the results! I will never forget how surprised to learn that I was sensitive to chicken and tomatoes – two things I ate thinking I was being healthy. Unsurprisingly, however, I was sensitive to gluten and dairy. Because most of the food in America is over saturated with both gluten and dairy, we tend to see the sensitivity show up on patient results. Therefore, going paleo for a bit can’t hurt! You might even find yourself feeling better
You can call the office at (602) 864-0304 to ask questions or order a Food Sensitivity test kit, you don’t have to be a patient! The test is $695 and you will get printed results sent to you as well as digital ones emailed with a video from Dr. Kilcup going over how to do the diet. If you do want to become a patient or want to know about Functional Medicine, look HERE.
If you want more information on Food Sensitivities, look HERE!
Paleo Pumpkin Bread
That is certainly a lot of information! You don’t have to do testing or a diet to be ‘healthy’. Sometimes all it takes are conscious choices (and exercise) for most people to feel and look better. But for those of us who do everything right and still have health issues, Functional Medicine is a great option; and whether or not you are paleo, you will still love this Paleo Pumpkin Bread! Check out my other recipes for more health focused food.
Simple Paleo Pumpkin Bread
- 3 Eggs
- 1 cup Organic Pumpkin Puree
- 1/3 cup Full Fat Coconut Milk *see note for preparation
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 3/4 cups Blanched Almond Flour
- 1/4 cup Tapioca Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tbsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1 pinch Fine Grain Sea Salt
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line a medium loaf pan (**8.5×4.5" one used in this recipe) with parchment paper, with a couple of inches overlapping for easy removal.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, pumpkin puree, creamy coconut milk*, maple syrup, and vanilla extract.
- In a medium bowl, combine the almond flour, tapioca flour, coconut flour baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon and salt.
- Slowly and gently mix the dry ingredients into the wet until just combined. If desired, you can add in raisins, chocolate chips, or nuts.
- Transfer all the batter into the prepared loaf pan, scraping the bowl with a spatula to use every drop. Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean, and the top is deep golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to sit in the loaf pan for about 5 minutes. Then, hold each side of the parchment paper to gently remove the loaf (it will stay in the parchment paper) to cool on a wire rack.
- Allow the loaf to cool untouched for 2 hours before slicing. Enjoy!
**A Wilton medium loaf pan was used in this recipe (which is 8.5″x4.5″) but you can also use a standard 9 x 5 Original Recipe: https://www.paleorunningmomma.com/paleo-pumpkin-bread/
I hope you enjoy this Paleo Pumpkin Bread and the added information on Food Sensitivities. Feel free to reach out to us with any questions!
Find Us On:
If you need help with:
- Pain Relief: Arthritis, Fibromyalgia, Post workout
- Skin/Hair: Wrinkles, Acne, Eczema, Psoriasis, Stretch marks
- Eye Health: Macular degeneration, Glaucoma, age related decline, Dry Eye
- Cognitive Function: Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, Dementia, Stroke, TBI
- Thyroid: Male and Female Hormones
Then you you should try out our Red Light Therapy! It can help these problems, and a lot more. Read THIS for More Information!