Happy St. Patrick’s Day! This year, when you make this Paleo Corned Beef and Cabbage recipe, enjoy not only the traditional Irish dish, but also that it is better for you. This dish is low carb, gluten-free, and protein filled – perfect for keeping things slim around the waist. Furthermore, the juicy and spiced corned beef with the accompanying carrots and cabbage make this meal complete as well as very delicious! May you and your family enjoy this warm meal this holiday.
St. Patrick’s Day and Meal History
Since the ninth or tenth century, the Irish have celebrated St. Patrick’s Day on March 17th. This holiday is a show of Irish heritage as well as a day of remembrance to the patron saint of Ireland. Read more about the history of St. Patrick’s Day here. Corned Beef and Cabbage is not something you may see in Ireland if you were there, however it does still stem from Irish roots. After the 1845 famine caused by a potato blight, many Irish immigrated to America and created communities. These communities were often next to the Jewish communities, as they had similar experiences of immigration and discrimination. Together, the two communities created what is now recognized as the traditional Corned Beef and Cabbage meal – using the Jewish kosher brisket in the Irish Corned Beef style. Read more about the history of the meal here. I hope that was interesting to you as you look to celebrate this fun Holiday!
Fun Fact: It is called ‘Corned Beef’ not because of corn, but because of the size of the salt grains used to cure the meat – which is the size of corn kernels!
Paleo Corned Beef and Cabbage
- Slow Cooker
- 3 lbs Corned Beef Brisket with Spices ex: Wellshire Farms
- 1/2 Large Onion chopped
- 1 Large Carrot chopped
- 3 ribs Celery Stalks chopped
- 1/2 head of Cabbage chopped in quarters
- 4 cups Water or enought to cover brisket
- Add corned beef brisket and the spices to a slow cooker
- Pour 4 cups or enough water over brisket to just cover the whole roast.
- Add onions, carrots and celery. Cover and slow cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours.
- Add cabbage the last half hour of cooking time, Cover and continue to cook the remaining 30 minutes.
- Remove vegetables and cabbage with a slotted spoon from crockpot to drain excess liquid.
- Remove corned beef and slice against the grain. Serve and enjoy!
If you liked this Paleo Corned Beef and Cabbage recipe, go check out my previous recipe for the perfect St. Patrick’s Day dessert – Key Lime Pie! It is gluten-free, vegan, and Paleo – not to mention, it is also GREEN.
Follow Us On All Your Socials: