This Christmas season, don’t say good-bye to your favorite Peanut Butter Cookies, but rather try these healthier alternative Vegan SunButter Cookies! They are also Gluten-Free and Nut-Free, making it so more people can enjoy them. It makes it really easy to make them for friends and family, or even bake a batch for your neighbors, without having to leave anyone out. Even if you are not Vegan or Gluten-Free, this recipe will still be a good, healthier option than traditional Peanut Butter Cookies.
Why are Sun Butter?
SunButter is made from sunflower seeds, which are a great source of protein, healthy fats, vitamin E, and magnesium. Protein and healthy fats keep you feeling full and energized, and the vitamin E is a powerful antioxidant. As well, magnesium is a key mineral that promotes good sleep, muscle recovery, and healthy digestion. Moreover, the best part is that is is allergen friendly! That means even those with peanut or chocolate allergies can have this Christmas cookie. Enjoy!
Vegan Sun Butter Cookies
- 2 tbsp Ground Flax Seed
- 2 tbsp Water
- 1/2 cup Sun Butter*
- 1/4 cup Natural Palm Shortening
- 1/3 cup Packed brown Sugar
- 1/3 cup Stevia in the Raw
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 cup Fine Sorghum Flour OR Brown Rice Flour
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside
- In a small cup, stir together the flax seed and water. Set aside
- In a medium bowl, with a hand blender, beat together the Sun Butter and palm shortening until creamy
- Beat in the brown sugar, Stevia in the Raw, vanilla, and the flax water mixture
- Add the sorghum flour and salt to the Sun Butter mixture and beat together until blended and a thick but crumbly dough forms. Press the dough together into a large ball
- Pinch off pieces of cookie dough and roll into balls about 1-1/2 inches in size, then press a fork cross-wise into the dough to slightly flatten the cookies
- Bake the cookies on the prepared cookie sheet for 13-14 minutes
- Allow cookies to cool for about 5 minutes on the cookies sheet before removing them to a cooling rack
And there you have it. Vegan SunButter Cookies that are good for everyone and tasty! I hope you enjoy this recipe – don’t forget to let me know below. I love hearing from you guys! If you’re more of a chocolate person, you are in luck! We have three recent chocolate dessert recipes: truffles, dark chocolate walnut date bars, and peppermint chocolate cookies. Feel free to check them out!
Find our Previous Recipe on a Vegan Hawaiian Cheese Ball:
Find us on: