It’s FINALLY December, so you know what that means – it’s almost Christmas! To me, Christmas is one of my favorite times of the year. I love the smells, sights, and sounds almost as much as I like the tastes! Around this time of the year everyone is wanting to drop their health goals and munch on some sugary sweets. Hopefully this recipe, for Chocolate Peppermint Cookies, will help you curb your sweet tooth for a little bit!
These cookies are a better alternative than other cookie options because they are gluten free, low in sugar, and vegan. They can even be made entirely sugar-free if you’d like! I recommend trying them sugar-free, especially since there are so many sugar alternatives you can use.
It is so nice that now-a-days we have more access to sugar-free alternatives! A popular one most people are familiar with is Stevia. It comes from a South American plant and has zero calories! Other popular sugar alternatives are xylitol and erythritol, both sugar alcohols. However, my personal favorite happens to be Monk Fruit Sweetener and Coconut Sugar because they come with side benefits! For example, Monk Fruit Sweetener can influence your daily calorie intake, blood glucose levels, and insulin levels. Coconut sugar, on the other hand, contains nutrients, including iron, zinc, calcium, and potassium, as well as antioxidants. It’s up to you which one you like best! Read more on alternative sugar options here.
Gluten Free Chocolate Peppermint Cookies (Vegan)
- 5 Tbsp Palm Oil Shortening
- 1/2 cup Unbleached Cane Sugar*
- 1/4 cup Rice milk (or your favorite non-dairy milk)
- 3 Tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 4-5 drops Peppermint oil
- 1 cup Gluten Free Flour (Original Author recommends Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1 Gluten Free Flour)
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 cup Powdered Sugar*
- 1-2 tsp Rice Milk (or your favorite non-dairy milk)
- 1-2 drops Peppermint Oil (or 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract)
- Natural Green Food Coloring (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper or use a baking stone.
- In a medium bowl, beat together the palm oil and sugar with a hand blender.
- Add the rice milk, cocoa powder, salt, vanilla, and peppermint oil, and beat again until incorporated.
- Add the gluten free flour and baking powder to the palm oil mixture and beat until a dough forms.
- Cover the dough with plastic wrap or cover the bowl with a lid and let rest for 5 minutes. This allows the thickeners in the flour to firm up the dough a bit.
- After the dough has firmed up a bit, pinch off about 1 Tablespoon of dough and roll into a ball. Set onto your prepared baking pan and press to flatten slightly.
- Bake for 11 to 12 minutes in the oven. Allow the cookies to cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet before removing to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Once the cookies are completely cooled, whisk together the powdered sugar, rice milk, and the natural green food color to make the green icing.
- Drizzle the icing on the completely cooled cookies and ENJOY!
And there you have it. Chocolate Peppermint Cookies for your Christmas parties, friends, and family this holiday season! I hope you enjoy these cookies and don’t forget to let me know what you think below. It really helps, and I love hearing from you!
Come back next week for a perfect Holiday Appetizer that is both tasty and dairy free!
Find Our Last Recipe on Stuffing:
Find us on: