You already know that broccoli is good for you, but unfortunately it doesn’t always taste good. Adding cheese, butter, and salt can go a long way, sure, but with this healthy cheesy broccoli recipe you will be asking for seconds. This recipe has a nice added crunch from the crackers and a smooth creaminess from the cheesy sauce. Particularly with picky eaters, this dish is a great way to get them to eat some vegetables. With little prep, this dish is also easy to make! You and your family will want this cheesy broccoli time and time again.
Broccoli – Vegetable with a Superpower
Raw broccoli and cooked broccoli have different nutrient compositions, but both are an excellent source of vitamin C. Cooking broccoli, same with other vegetables, damages and changes how much of a vitamin or mineral there is. This means that eating your vegetables raw is the best way to get their benefits – not always possible with picky eaters. While this is a cooked broccoli recipe, steamed broccoli does do the least damage to the amazing minerals and nutrients in broccoli. I do recommend adding cheese to your steamed broccoli, especially if you have picky eaters. If your kids (or husband!) are still not able to eat broccoli raw or steamed, then that is where this recipe comes in handy. Afterall, cooked broccoli – even with cheese – is a great way to get some veggies down!
Healthy Cheesy Broccoli
- 2 pounds Broccoli Florets roughly chopped (approx. 8 cups)
- 1/4 cup Gluten-Free Flour like Almond Flour
- 1/2 cup Butter grass-fed
- 1 3/4 cups Sour Cream or Plain Yogurt*
- 2 1/4 cups Sharp Cheddar Cheese freshly shredded
- 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper freshly ground
- 1 sleeve Almond Flour butter or cheese Crackers about 30
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a medium sized rectangle baking dish (about 11×7) with olive oil or alternative cooking spray and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add broccoli and boil for 3-4 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour, garlic powder and paprika and cook for several minutes until golden. Add sour cream/plain yogurt and bring to a simmer until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in cheese (reserve ¼ cup for topping). Stir in salt and black pepper. Taste and add salt as desired.
- Pour cheese sauce over the broccoli and gently stir to coat. Pour into the baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine crushed crackers with remaining melted butter and stir in the remaining cheese. Sprinkle cracker mixture evenly over the casserole.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for about 20-25 minutes, or until sauce is bubbly and topping is browned. If topping isn't browned enough, place under the broiler for a few minutes.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
I hope you like this healthy cheesy broccoli dish! Let me know what you think in the comments or on social media.
Find Us On:
If you need help with:
- Pain Relief: Arthritis, Fibromyalgia, Post workout
- Skin/Hair: Wrinkles, Acne, Eczema, Psoriasis, Stretch marks
- Eye Health: Macular degeneration, Glaucoma, age related decline, Dry Eye
- Cognitive Function: Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, Dementia, Stroke, TBI
- Thyroid: Male and Female Hormones
Then you you should try out new Red Light Therapy! It can help these problems, and a lot more. Read THIS for More Information!