For as long as I can remember, my mom has made chili as soon as the weather turned cold. There is something about feeling cold and shivery and then helping yourself to piping hot chili. This Vegan Black Bean Chili is a flavorful take on the classic chili you are probably used to. The new – and healthier – changes will still give you that chili flavor you are craving but still be good for you!
Why Red Lentils?
You’ll notice that this recipe has Red Lentils in addition to the Black Beans. Why? It’s simple! Red Lentils are very nutritious and considered to be a ‘Super Food‘. With its high protein and fiber content, you will be doing your body good by adding Red Lentils to your regular diet.
This recipe is also super easy to make and full of ingredients you probably have in your pantry – or can easily find at your local grocery store. I also recommend using fresh organic ingredients whenever possible! That is going to mean preferably not canned. Trust me, this is not only going to help the flavors, but also benefit you in the long run. It’s not always easy or super cost effective, yet I think you will taste the difference!
Vegan Black Bean Chili
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil extra virgin
- 1 Red Onion diced
- 5 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 tbsp Chili Powder
- 1 tbsp Cumin
- 14.5 oz Diced Tomatoes or 1 can
- 2 tsp Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce diced, can be found in cans
- 15 oz Black Beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup Uncooked Split Red Lentils
- 15 oz Tomato Sauce or 2 cans
- 2-3 cups Vegetable Broth
- Juice of 1 Lime
- Kosher Salt
- Fresh Cracked Pepper
- Cilantro garnish
- Dairy Free Sour Cream garnish
- Sliced Jalapeno garnish
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion along with a large pinch of salt and pepper. Cook 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add garlic, chili powder, and cumin. Cook for another minute, stirring frequently.
- Stir in diced tomatoes, chipotles in adobo, black beans, lentils, and a large pinch of salt and pepper.
- Then add tomato sauce and 2 cups vegetable broth.
- Cover, turn heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat and simmer over medium-low for 5-7 minutes or until lentils are tender, stirring frequently. Add remaining cup of broth if desired.
- Stir in the juice of 1 lime and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro, dairy-free sour cream, and sliced jalapeno (if you want to) and enjoy!
And there you have it! Vegan Black Bean Chili for your November dinner table. Bound to be a hit with you and your family – even the ones who say they don’t like ‘healthy’ food. Let me know what you think down below. I love hearing from you guys!
View Last Week’s Recipe on Loaded Sweet Potato Skins:
Find Us On:
More on Red Lentils: https://foodtolive.com/healthy-blog/red-lentils-benefits-nutrition-and-uses/